Sunday, August 1, 2010

mission (noun): those sent (here)

There is a band (Yeasayer) that I've recently been listening to. They're a little folk, a little rock, a little different with a cool beat and odd videos. But what I enjoy most about Yeasayer is their lyrics. One of my favorites, Red Cave, goes something like this:

i'm so blessed to
have spent the time
with my family
and the friends i love
in my short life i have met
so many people i deeply care for


I feel the message of this chorus so strong right now and I cannot express my gratitude enough. The gratitude goes out to family (related and "extended"), friends, and the communities of Parkersburg and Huntington as a whole. I know I probably sound redundant at this point, but Thank you all so much! I saw so many amazing God-things and displays of love over the past few months of our fundraising frenzy.

For example, there are three little girls that displayed a maturity in their love that doesn't typically surface until at least late teens or early twenties, if at all. Yesterday (Saturday, 9/31) was our "big day," consisting of a yard sale in the morning and a pool party in the evening. The morning started off with a rush of familiarized "yard-salers." It was tenfold better than we could have hoped for. Cars coming and going, sale items mostly just going. About a half hour into the rush of business, three neighborhood girls (ages 7-9) decided they would sell lemonade, donut holes, and muffins to the weary yard-salers. My initial thought was, "Genius. These girls are well on their way to a write-up in Business Week and a six-figure salary (...someday lol)." I went over to their table and smiled, "How much for a cup of lemonade?" They just grinned right back, "Donations only please," was the response I was dealt. Donations... hmm, interesting. So I pulled "a donation" from my wallet and received a cool cup of freshly squeezed lemonade.

End of the day. We're packing up tables and unsold goods. Brad and I are just making casual conversation about how busy the next 5 hours are going to be and he slides in this, "Oh, by the way... those little girls next door... they made a little over one hundred dollars at their lemonade stand." I was impressed! He continued, "and they're donating all of it to our trip to Nicaragua. They want to use the money to help the orphan boys at Remar." I... was... floored. My jaw must have been hanging open. I probably caught a fly or two, and I know pure shock and awe was streaming across my face with a side of "stupid grin." Awesome God-things.

I could go on and on about all the amazing people that have been such a huge inspiration to so many others. And that is the beautiful thing about missions, in general. It's not really about the trip itself. Yes, mission trips are amazing, needed, and life-changing... but that's not all. God works through the preparation of these trips. This entire summer has been a mission in itself. It's great that Brad and I are going on this trip. I'm excited, yes. But it's you all that are making the mission here. You are doing things, giving selflessly, loving without needing a receipt, witnessing your faith whether you realize it or not, and inspiring so many people around you, again, knowing or otherwise. God takes a 10-day trip and He turns it into something so much bigger. He takes a round-trip plane ticket and he creates a community that brings the mission home. I cannot explain in words, justly, how awesome it is to sit here in complete awe of God's mission here, in Parkersburg; in Huntington; in West Virginia. His will is so intertwined. It's great to step away from the one thread you've been focusing on, toiling over, and building to see the entire web that's been weaved as a system of support. Awesome God-things.


I love you all. Your support, your mission, your love will never cease to amaze and inspire me. This is a summer that I will never forget.


less stressed, feel blessed, love your best,

Mere



1 Corinthians 13:13


1 comment: