Sunday, June 16, 2013

Leave a Legacy.

Why do we live? What do we live for? These are big questions. As I complete my coursework for counseling, these are questions my professors pose to "us students." I really believe that each one of us (my sister, my cousin, the man I stood behind at Kroger, the nurse that just worked a double, the child walking down the road with a skateboard in tow) have an undeniable, genuine purpose in life.

In any event, this was a response to one such question posed by my professor. I truly believe the following and felt compelled to share:

"I recently attended a memorial service for a good friend’s grandfather. Of all the wonderful speeches made and endearing memories shared that day, one word caught my attention—legacy. It was said that, “he wanted to leave a legacy.” I feel each life is that person’s legacy. We have the ability to invest our time, our life, our love in one thing or another. What is it you love? Each life will live as a legacy to what the living loved most. Mumford and Sons said it best, “Where you invest your love, you invest your life.” I consider life to be an investment. I choose what I love most and then I spend time on that thing. I love my family. If this is true, I should spend my time “investing” in my family. I love those who need love most. If this is true, I should spend time at homeless shelters, mentoring, and (attempt) maintaining an attitude of grace and love throughout each day. I know I am only finishing the “first quarter” of my life, but I take this thinking seriously. I don’t ever want to look back and say, “I could have loved better.” What a shame that would be. So, I do my best now to invest in those people and things in life I love most; acknowledging every day as a new opportunity to leave a legacy."

As this weekend comes to a close, I am preparing to leave for Los Angeles, California for an Athletes in Action mission known as "Urban Project." I will only be able to participate in a portion of the mission trip (June 19-25); however, I will do my best to "leave a legacy" and "invest my love" in the children and people I meet while there. I will have more updates on Urban Project to follow. 
Always in His love. 

PS.. Thanks to Stacy H. for her awesome insight on "investment." Every day... Always good conversations at the "E" :)
1 Corinthians 13:13



No comments:

Post a Comment